The Style Maven: pyjamas

Every morning my three-year-old daughter weeps - no, screams - because she doesn't want to get dressed. 'Jar-mas!' she wails. 'Jar-mas!' Given that she is merely exchanging one soft'n'stretchy set of garments for another - rather than, say, a pair of tricky high heels - I find this daily reaction a bit wearing. But in broad terms I am with her all the way. You can take my cashmere sweaters and throw away my designer shoes, but lay your hands on my pyjamas and we'll be having words, my friend.

 Trending: Pyjamas
So it was with whooping and Native American-style dancing that I greeted the appearance of silky PJ trousers and shirts in the spring collections. Pyjamas as fashion item? Why, you had me at hello, Stella McCartney. But not everyone it seems.
'Why is she wearing her pyjamas?' someone tweeted about McCartney's appearance in a printed silky (pyjama-ish) jumpsuit at the launch of the British Olympic kit. Because she's 40, she's got four kids and it's all she wants to wear, I retorted to no one. So she's decided she might as well make it fashionable.
Never mind the Olympics team, with this McCartney has done a great service to women the world over. We are now officially allowed to leave the house in our pyjamas . This is better than two more golds from Rebecca Adlington. And it's not just McCartney playing the pyjama game. Paul Smith, Joseph, Marni, Elizabeth and James and Zara are at it, too.

.
Lounging in style
There are some addenda. Do the full pyjama set of top and bottoms outside militant fashion circles and you must expect to encounter mockery, if not violence. I wouldn't suggest wearing such an outfit to your uncle's 60th, for example, unless he is on staff at Vogue . Also, if you are less than 6ft tall and more than sylph-like, as many of us are, I would suggest high heels with your silky PJ trousers. Something with a big solid sole rather than a stiletto, mind.
It looks, joyfully, like the nightwear trend will continue into the autumn. With that encouragement I am going to gun for compulsory inclusion of pyjamas in all future designer collections.

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | cheap international calls